Wednesday, March 27, 2013

TO Toronto

If Vancouver gets a rep for being a city of laid-back-nature-loving-latte-sipping-yoga-devotees, Toronto is its hip-yet-stern-grown-up sister city. Or so it seems.

You see, I've never been to Toronto (I think I had a connecting flight at Pearson once, like fifteen years ago). I remember when I first met the other Canadian assistants teaching English in France (all of whom were from Toronto or its surroundings) and told them that I'd never been to Toronto. They looked at me in disbelief. Or maybe that was me reading into it too much because of my own insecurity on the subject.

But why would I have gone to Toronto? Only one of them had been to Vancouver. And apparently Lonely Planet agrees (note the Vancouver city guides and lack of a Toronto equivalent). But I jest.

It's just that other than Toronto being the "center of the universe," the CBC occasionally interrupting national broadcasts to update us all on the bumper-to-bumper traffic on the 401, and being home to the world's formerly tallest sky scraper, I just don't know much about what it has to offer.

So this isn't so much a regular Wanderlust Wednesday, as it is a call for travel tips and suggestions. An opportunity and seat sale coincided, and I'm really excited to fly out on Friday morning. Have you been to or live in Toronto? What should I eat, drink, and see? I love architecture and my espresso black instead of with steamed milk. The touristiest thing I think I might do is go up the CN Tower... if I don't get struck with a fear of heights.

(photo by Stephanie Todaro via Design*Sponge)

No comments: