Monday, June 9, 2014

OttawAwesome

I've now been in Ottawa just over a month so I thought I'd share a few of observations about how it's been so far.

  1. I didn't really have any preconceptions of what Ottawa would be like before arriving. I'd visited before -- once as a child and again on my way back from France in 2011 -- but both visits were only a couple of days. All I knew was that Ottawa is a government town.
  2. But Ottawa is so much more than the obligatory snapshot of the Peace Tower.
  3. In fact, I find it a lot like a larger version of Victoria in terms of architecture and vibe. 
  4. I've managed to survive the heat and humidity--so far! When I first arrived at the beginning of May there was still a bit of a chill in the air; it was almost as if I had gone back in time season-wise. The following weekend, however, spring came in full force, lasted for about a week, and it's been summer ever since.
  5. I'm liking the frequency of the lightning storms here. It's not a spectacle we often get in coastal Vancouver.
  6. I live a 5 minute walk from a river-front beach that is just about as gorgeous as Vancouver beaches.
  7. I've also enjoyed lake swims. In fact, I think I am discovering a love of lakeside beaches. I think I'll be spending more time in my bathing suit this summer than the previous several summers combined.
  8. Compared to Vancouver, the cost of everything here seems way cheaper! It's almost become a running joke with my intern colleagues when I remark on how much cheaper something is in Ontario than Vancouver. Apparently that's just what things cost when you don't live in one of the most expensive cities in the world.
  9. All of this has made me realize that there are other places in Canada in which I could live happily. 
  10. I think this might be part of my long break-up with Vancouver, because wow is my home city getting me down these days.

No comments: